Charmed: Illustration exhibition call for submissions
“The most fell and furious beast of all other is the Licorne or Monoceros, his body resembles a horse, his head a stag, his feet an Elephant, his taile a bore; he loweth after an hideous manner, one black horne he hath in the mids of his forehead, bearing out two cubits in length: by report, this wild beast cannot possibly be caught alive.”
- Ctesias (circa 400BC)
The call for submissions is now open for Charmed, an exhibition of work by illustrators, artists and designers from around the world in response to the theme of ‘The Unicorn’ that is being organised by curator Spike Dennis.
All submissions will be showcased in an online gallery and a short-listed selection, curated by Spike, artist, imaginator and established connoisseur and creator of Unicorn-Porn, will be exhibited at The Printmarket Project Space (www.printmarketproject.com), in Canton, Cardiff from Wednesday 26 September through to Sunday 14 October as a part of the Cardiff Design Festival.
Feel free to respond to the theme of ‘The Unicorn’ in as literal or metaphorical manner as you wish.
“The Unicorn itself is a lunar creature, and as such it constantly fights with the solar lion.”
- J Williamson (1986)
The Unicorn is an imaginary creature and so let your imagination loose in responding to this brief. But don’t forget: Unicorn translates as ‘one-horn’. If you’re in need of further information and inspiration visit www.unicorn-porn.com/blog/category/information/
How to get involved:
• Create a piece based on ‘The Unicorn’
• It is free to submit work to ‘Charmed’
• Your work will need to be of sufficient resolution that you will be able to produce a printed edition for the exhibition should your work be selected
• All submissions will be included in the online gallery at www.unicorn-porn.com/charmed
• The exhibition will take place during the Cardiff Design Festival in October 2012.
• Images for exhibition should not exceed 420 x 297mm ( landscape or portrait)
• To enter email a low resolution jpg or pdf to email@example.com (Maximum file size 4Mb)
• Please supply your name, website address (optional), contact phone number and email address along with a brief description of your work.
Spike will also be exhibiting his own body of Unicorn related works in an exhibition entitled ‘Blessed’ at Physical Graffiti, 124 City Road, Roath, Cardiff CF24 3DQ from the 29 September to the 21 October 2012 as a part of the 2012 Cardiff Design Festival and Made in Roath.
Note: A ‘Charm’ is the sighting of two unicorns at once whereas a ‘Blessing’ is widely accepted to be the collective noun used to describe a large group of unicorns.
Image: Unicorn, by Amy, age 6